Eggplant is one of my favorite fruit-vegetable =) Not everyone likes it though.... they said it has an after taste or is "itchy" in the mouth. To remove the after taste and the itchiness of the vegetable, you should soak the sliced eggplant in water with salt for at least 5 to 10 mins and cook as directed.
Here is a Chinese recipe of an eggplant dish that I always order whenever we eat out. I served mine in a claypot just to make it a little more authentic.
as promised, here is a better photo of the Eggplant with Minced Pork
300 grams ground pork
5 eggplants, sliced into long strips
1 whole garlic chopped
1 white onion (optional)
1 Tbsp. bean sauce
1/2 tsp chopped ginger
1/2 Tbsp chili paste with garlic (Lee Kum Kee)
2 tsp light soysauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp sesame oil
1 1/2 tsp. light soysauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tsp cornstarch
1. Combine seasoning ingredients in a bowl.
2. Marinate ground pork in "PORK MARINADE"for at least 15 minutes.
3.Heat pan and add oil
4. Saute half of the onions and half of the garlic. Add half of the bean paste. Cook until onions are translucent.
5. Add eggplant and 1/2 cup of water. Simmer until eggplants are cooked and almost all liquid has evaporated. Set Aside.
6. Using the same wok, add oil sauté the remaining onions, garlic and bean sauce. Add 1/2 tsp. chopped ginger.
7. Add marinated pork and cook.
8. When pork is done. Make a well in the center and add the "seasoning". Let it simmer until it thickens.
9. Add in the cooked eggplant & chili paste with garlic and continue cooking.
11. Season with salt and pepper. You can add more water if desired.